Harmon L. (Monty) Cooper practices in the areas of complex civil, environmental, and commercial litigation. Mr. Cooper serves as a member of a national coordinating defense counsel team for major petroleum companies in multidistrict litigation, which has included defending nuisance, trespass, and failure-to-warn claims. He has taken and defended numerous depositions, including defending 30(b)(6) depositions of engineers, and has worked with hydrogeologists and engineers to prepare expert reports. He has also assisted the defense of a major petroleum company against Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act and common law claims seeking contribution for environmental remediation costs.
Areas of Concentration
B.A. (2000) Georgetown University
M.P.P. (2004) College of William & Mary Program in Public Policy
J.D. (2004) William & Mary School of Law
- Law Clerk — Hon. Patrick Michael Duffy of the U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- Special Assistant State’s Attorney — Prince George’s County, Maryland
Professional and Community Activities and Honors
Professional and Community Activities
- Chairman — Redevelopment Authority of Prince George’s County (MD)
– Profiled in national urban affairs magazine, Next City, for work with Redevelopment Authority: http://nextcity.org/daily/entry/monty-cooper-maryland-rda
- Co-Chairman — DC Bar’s Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Section’s Water Quality and Water Resources Standing Committee
- Board Member — The Maryland Litigator (Maryland State Bar Association Litigation Section’s Newsletter)
- Board Member — Environmental and Energy Study Institute
- Rising Star — Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers Magazine
- Nation’s Best Advocates: 40 Lawyers Under 40 Award — National Bar Association
- Lawyers of Color’s Inaugural “Hot List” (Mid-Atlantic Region)
- Forty Under 40 Award — Prince George’s County (MD) Social Innovation Fund
- Vanguard Award — Next City (National Urban-Affairs Magazine)
- Leadership Maryland — Class of 2015
Public Entity Experience — Redevelopment Authority of Prince George’s County, MD
- Mr. Cooper is chairman of the Redevelopment Authority (RDA) of Prince George’s County, MD. The RDA is the principal development and redevelopment agency in Maryland’s second largest jurisdiction. Its mission is to develop mixed-income housing and mixed-use development in the county’s urban communities and transit centers.
- As chairman, Mr. Cooper presides over the RDA’s board meetings and is responsible for signing land-disposition agreements. He also works with the board and the agency’s executive director to (1) identify firms and negotiate with them to develop large infill development projects; (2) acquire, rehab, and sell blighted foreclosed homes to qualified buyers; and (3) participate in neighborhood-outreach programs in order to facilitate communication between citizens and government.
- Since becoming chairman, the RDA has selected a half-dozen development partners for projects with a total development cost of over $185 million and has provided more than 250 loans worth more than $4 million for down-payment and closing-cost assistance to low-income families. Mr. Cooper’s work has been spotlighted in the national urban affairs magazine Next City, and the RDA’s efforts have been highlighted in both print (e.g., Washington Post) and television media (e.g., WJLA-ABC News 7 – Washington, D.C.).
- District of Columbia; Maryland; South Carolina; 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals; U.S. District Court (D.D.C.); U.S. District Court (D. Md.)