James S. Brown is the co-chair of the firm’s Employment and Labor Law Practice Group. He is an experienced trial attorney with expertise litigating all types of employment and labor law matters. Clients look to Mr. Brown and his team of lawyers for advice and counsel on employment issues arising throughout the United States.
Mr. Brown provides advice and counseling in such areas as wage and hour law, creation and enforcement of covenants-not-to-compete, reductions-in-force, progressive discipline, employee handbooks and personnel policies, employee leave obligations and other workplace management issues. He advises companies on due diligence and human resource audit issues during business acquisitions.
Mr. Brown represents clients before state and federal courts and enforcement agencies. He has represented employers in matters before the California Labor Commissioner, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, city and county human rights commissions, California’s Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board, the National Labor Relations Board, the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs of the U.S. Department of Labor and the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
He routinely assists clients in defense of Labor Code section 132a claims and “serious and willful” petitions. Mr. Brown also defends property owners and managers in housing discrimination and federal Section 8 administrative agency and federal court litigation.
Representative ClientsMr. Brown’s clients range in size from Fortune 100 companies to small start-up operations. He routinely assists large corporations with in-house legal and human resources staffs, as well as smaller companies with no dedicated human resources professionals. He advises management in both union and non-union settings. Mr. Brown acts as local counsel for out-of-state corporations sued in California, and provides primary representation for management side litigants throughout California.
Presentations and Publications
- California Employment Law Letter — Advisory Board of Contributors
- Employment Law Alert, Sedgwick Law — frequent contributor
- Employment Law Briefings, Sedgwick Law — frequent contributor
- Healthcare Law Newsletter, Sedgwick Law — frequent contributor
- U.S. District Court (C.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Cal.)
- J.D. (1988) University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- A.B. (1983) University of California at Davis (Political Science)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Barristers Club Labor and Employment Law Committee — past chair
- The Honorable J. Lawrence Irving, U.S. District Court, Southern District of California — law student extern