Mary Beth Buckley counsels national and international companies, along with their advertising and promotion agencies, on a wide variety of advertising, marketing, social media, pricing practices and e-commerce issues. In addition to counseling, Mary Beth also regularly represents clients in connection with federal and state governmental agency inquiries and investigations and also represents clients in self-regulatory proceedings.
Mary Beth’s practice also includes defending clients in complex commercial and class action litigation, including consumer fraud, warranty, products liability and mass tort litigation. Mary Beth has played a key role in defending food and beverage, life sciences and consumer products companies in high-profile litigation throughout the country.
- Defending infant food manufacturer in multiple products liability actions involving allegations of foodborne illness, including fact and expert discovery, jury research, trial preparation and settlement.
- Defending medical device manufacturer in multiple products liability actions following recall of devices.
- Defending nationwide litigation against medical device manufacturer in matters involving 400+ plaintiffs.
- Successfully defeating class certification in several nationwide suits alleging consumer fraud and products liability in connection with the food and beverage industry.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author, “Beware Unintended Consequences Of Class Action Reform,” Law360 (March 8, 2017).
- “Master Class on Upgrading your Advertising Compliance Program: What Risk Management Lessons Can be Gleaned from those in the Class Action Trenches,” American Conference Institute’s 6th Advanced Regulatory and Compliance Summit on Food & Beverage Marketing and Advertising (May 10-12, 2016).
- Co-author, “Class Action Fallout From 9th Circ. Google AdWords Case,” Law360 (November 6, 2015).
- Co-author, “Supreme Court to Resolve Split on Whether Rule 68 Offer Moots Claims Prior to Class Certification Motion,” IADC Class Actions and Multi-Party Litigation Committee Newsletter (June 2015).
- Co-author, “Bringing the Cyber War to the Medical Device Battleground,” ABA Mass Torts Litigation Newsletter Vol. 13, No. 2 (January 2015).
- Speaker, “Defeating Class Certification,” Sedgwick University Continuing Legal Education Seminar (June, 2015).
- Co-author, “Is the ‘Food Court’ Losing Steam? An Update on Food and Beverage Consumer Class Actions in the Northern District of California,” Bloomberg BNA Class Action Litigation Report (July 11, 2014).
- Speaker, “Can Your Counsel Keep a Secret? Communicating in Confidence and Protecting Privileges,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Seminar Series, Chicago, IL (June 4, 2014).
- Co-author, “Take What FCC Says About TCPA With a Grain of Salt: Part 2,” Law360 (April 10, 2014).
- Co-author, “Take What FCC Says About TCPA With a Grain of Salt: Part 1,” Law360 (April 9, 2014).
- Co-author, “Presumptions of Reliance: What They Really Mean and How to Defeat Them,” Bloomberg BNA Class Action Litigation Report and Bloomberg BNA Product Safety & Liability Reporter (January 2014).
- Co-author, “Cy Pres: ‘As Close as Possible’ Is Not Good Enough,” Law360 (October 2013).
- Co-author, “Jury Still Out on the ‘Food Court’: An Examination of Food Law Class Actions and the Popularity of the Northern District of California,” Bloomberg Law Reports (June 2013).
- U.S. District Court (C.D. Ill.)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Ill.)
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Ill.)
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Wis.)
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Ark.)
- B.S. (1996) University of Chicago (History), 1996
- J.D. (2001) Loyola University Chicago School of Law, cum laude
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Food and Drug Law Institute