Caitlin Conyers is an associate with a wide commercial law and public law practice. She has experience in commercial litigation and judicial review proceedings in the Supreme Court and the Court of Appeal of Bermuda, as well as international insurance arbitrations and mediations. Caitlin also has experience of Magistrate’s Court litigation in civil cases.
Caitlin has advised and represented a variety of corporate, individual, and non-profit clients in disputes involving contract law, company law, insolvency, insurance, professional negligence, regulatory law, environmental law, property law, and constitutional and administrative law. She also has experience of a variety of non-contentious matters, including the drafting of contracts and Private Act legislation in Bermuda.
Prior to joining Sedgwick Chudleigh in Bermuda, Caitlin served as a foreign law clerk to Justice Sisi Khampepe at the Constitutional Court of South Africa and as a legal intern at the Legal Resources Center in Johannesburg. She has also served as a research assistant at the London School of Economics and as a legal intern in the Investment Treaty Forum at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law.
Caitlin completed her 12 month pupillage with Sedgwick Chudleigh in March 2017, and she spent time during her pupillage at Erskine Chambers and 4 Pump Court, two leading sets of barristers’ Chambers in London.
- ‘The 35th America’s Cup: The Final Countdown’, Mondaq (13 April 2017) (coauthored with Alex Potts)
- ‘UK: A Shock to the System: Significant Changes to the Discount Rate Applicable to Personal Injury Damages Awards in England and Wales’, Mondaq (9 March 2017) (co-authored with Alex Potts)
- ‘Trump to the Left Of Us, Brexit to the Right: Stuck in the Middle With You’, IFC Caribbean 2017 (co-authored with Alex Potts)
- ‘Sign This Or Else! Economic Duress Under Bermuda Law’, Mondaq (13 February 2017) (co-authored with Alex Potts)
- ‘Post-Petition Dispositions and Validation Orders in Bermuda Law’, International Corporate Rescue, Volume 13 (2016), Issue 6 (co-authored with Alex Potts)
- ‘Friendly Societies in Bermuda: Driving Without Insurance?’, Sedgwick's Insurance Law Blog (22 June 2016) (co-authored with Alex Potts)
- ‘Offshore Professional Risk: 2016 Notable Cases and Decisions’
- ‘Financial Services in EU Trade Agreements’, European Parliament’s Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (2014) (co-authored with Dr. Andrew Lang)
- Bar Professional Training Course (2014) BPP Law School, (very competent)
- LL.M. (2013) London School of Economics and Political Science (Public International Law), with distinction
- G.D.L. (2012) BPP Law School, with distinction
- B.A. (2007) University of Virginia, with distinction
- Gray’s Inn Internship Award (which enabled her to undertake the clerkship at the Constitutional Court of South Africa) (2014)
- Lauterpacht/Higgins Prize for The Best Overall Performance in the LL.M. (Public International Law), London School of Economics and Political Science (2013)
Memberships and Affiliations
- Honourable Society of Gray’s Inn (one of four Inns of Court with the exclusive right to call men and women to the Bar of England and Wales)
- Middle Schools — debate coach