Kimberly Cook is the office managing partner in the Sedgwick Miami office, where she specializes in professional liability defense, complex litigation and catastrophic injury defense cases. She also serves as trial counsel for physicians, assisted living facilities, home health agencies and other facilities in the defense of complex personal injury and commercial matters, and has represented healthcare providers in claims brought by the Florida Department of Health Administration. Kimberly serves as regional counsel for one of the country’s largest manufacturers of heavy equipment and has defended multiple corporations against product defect claims, mass and catastrophic injury claims, general liability matters, commercial litigation and product liability actions involving a wide variety of items such as construction, mining and earth-moving machinery.
Kimberly is an active trial lawyer who regularly tries cases in Florida and around the country. She has tried more than 30 cases to verdict, involving a range of commercial and tort claims. Some of her notable victories include the following:
- Complete defense jury verdict in 2015 on behalf of the country’s largest manufacturer of water heaters in a trial in Richmond, Virginia, involving five Virginia Tech students found unconscious in their apartment from carbon monoxide poisoning. The plaintiffs alleged that the water heater was defective and should not be on the market.
- Defense verdict in a medical malpractice case in which Ms. Cook represented a pediatric anesthesiologist sued when a young child had a cardiac arrest in an operating room. The child’s parents alleged the child suffered brain damage when he decompensated during a surgical biopsy.
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Fla.)
- U.S. District Court (M.D. Fla.)
- J.D. (1984) Loyola University New Orleans College of Law
- B.A. (1980) Tulane University, magna cum laude
- Lifetime Achievement Membership in America’s Top 100 Attorneys®
- AV Preeminent® certified by the Martindale-Hubbell peer review rating system
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2007-2014
Memberships and Affiliations
- Florida Supreme Court certified circuit mediator
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Florida State Bar
- Executive Council of the Trial Lawyers Section, former member
- Advanced Trial Advocacy Course faculty member
- Rules of Civil Procedure Committee and Grievance Committee, former member
- Dade County Bar Association
- Florida Association for Women Lawyers
- Cuban American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- American Society of Law Medicine and Ethics