Lucy Dyson represents insurers and reinsurers in the London and Bermuda markets. She has significant experience advising on coverage under primary and excess casualty (re)insurance programmes, including general and excess liability, umbrella and “Bermuda Form” covers. Her practice has a particular emphasis on product liability, long tail, and environmental exposures involving the mining, pharmaceutical and life sciences industries.
Lucy is described as “An Associate to Watch” in Chambers Latin America. She regularly acts for insurers in domestic and international litigation and arbitration. She also advises insurers on policy wordings. Her practice has both a UK and international focus, and she regularly deals with claims in Latin America, Africa and the U.S. and Caribbean. Lucy is fluent in Spanish.
- Representing Bermudian excess insurer in Bermuda Form arbitration concerning claims brought against manufacturer of herbicide which allegedly caused property damage.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage in relation to occupational lung disease claims brought against the South African gold mining industry.
- Advising London reinsurers on policy coverage for cleanup following rupture of liquid natural gas pipeline in Peru.
- Representing London insurer in London arbitration concerning U.S. class action brought against pharmaceutical insured.
- Advising Lloyd’s Market Association (LMA) on revisions to industry public and products liability wording (PCA94 re-works).
- “Eye on Insurance — A Look Back at 2015 and Forward to 2016: Long Tail, Latin America and Claims Handling,” Sedgwick (January 2016).
- “Eye on Insurance — A Look Back at 2015 and Forward to 2015: Reinsurance, Law Commission Draft Insurance Bill,” Sedgwick (January 2015).
- “Eye on Insurance — A Look Back at 2013 and Forward to 2014: Liability,” Sedgwick (January 2014).
- “General Liability Insurance After the EL Trigger Litigation — What Is the Current State of Policy Attachment in Injury Cases?” Sedgwick's Insurance Law Flash (July 2012).
- “The Insurance Act 2015 and Claims Handling Trends,” Client Presentation (March 2016).
- “Onshore Oil and Gas: Who Picks up the Bill for Pollutions?” LMA (October 2014).
- “The EL Trigger Litigation Update on Attachment of Occupational Disease Claims Under EL/PL policies,” Client Presentation (May 2012).
- CGL/Umbrella liability Insurance Workshop, Client Presentation (July 2011).
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- G.D.L. (2006) BPP Law School, with commendation
- B.A. (2005) University of Leeds (History), with honors
- LPC (2007) College of Law of England and Wales
Memberships and Affiliations
- British Insurance Law Association (BILA)