Robert Eassa is the co-chair of the firm’s Employment and Labor Practice Group. He has over 30 years of experience as a civil trial attorney and has expertise in litigating labor and employment matters of all types, including wage and hour class actions, wrongful termination, discrimination, retaliation, harassment and other employment-related actions. Bob oversees a team which regularly provides in-house counseling, training and guidance in these areas of the law.
Bob has also established an expertise in the areas of commercial litigation, maritime law, and toxic torts. He serves as national, regional and local counsel for clients in a variety of matters in these areas of law as well. Robert’s clients include Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies. He has been recognized for his trial skills by a number of exclusive legal organizations.
Bob is an experienced trial attorney, having successfully first chaired more than 45 jury trials to verdict. In addition to his jury trials, he has also had several bench trials and numerous arbitrations. He has handled cases in California, Alabama, New Jersey and the District of Columbia. Bob has also successfully argued numerous appeals in both State and Federal courts, including a successful argument before the California Supreme Court, on behalf of the City of Piedmont, CA.
The following demonstrates Bob’s depth of experience in successfully defending actions on behalf of his clients:
- Sappington v. Henkel Corporation, age discrimination jury trial — Settled.
- Vaynberg v. Chevron Corporation, wage and hour jury trial — Defense verdict.
- Cambra v. Chevron International Exploration & Production Company, wrongful termination, slander, invasion of privacy jury trial — Defense verdict.
- McPike v. Ablestik Laboratories, race discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation jury trial — Defense verdict (also successfully obtained attorneys’ fees awarded against plaintiff employee).
- AT Systems v. Longs Drug Stores California, breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing jury trial — Defense verdict (also, attorneys’ fees awarded to client after trial).
- ATM Capitol, Inc. v. Longs Drugs California, breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, jury trial — Defense verdict (also, attorneys’ fees awarded to client after trial).
- Sadatti v. Longs Drugs Stores California, disability discrimination, failure to reasonably accommodate and to engage in interactive process, jury trial — Settled.
- Jones v. Chevron U.S.A., disability discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination.
- Gallegos v. FCE Benefit Administrators Inc., gender/sexual orientation discrimination, wrongful termination.
- Chervenack v. Phelps Dodge Industries, Toxic tort.
- Palacio v. Longs Drug Stores California, Inc., wrongful termination, discrimination, false imprisonment (Nine plaintiffs involved) — Defense verdict.
- Foster City Community Development Agency v. JMA Investments, California Environmental Quality Act
- FCE Benefit Administrators, Inc. v. George Washington University, Unfair Business Practices Act.
- Harris v. National Semiconductor, complex/multi-plaintiff chemical litigation.
- In Re IBM Litigation, complex/multi-plaintiff chemical litigation.
- Said v. Mission Linen Supply Company, racial discrimination.
- Chavez v. St. Matthews Episcopal Church, racial discrimination.
Presentations and PublicationsBob has given numerous presentations on the Americans With Disability Act, and on many areas of employment law, including sexual harassment and all forms of discrimination and wrongful termination.
- J.D. (1982) University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- M.B.A. (1978) San Francisco State University (Management)
- B.A. (1976) San Francisco State University (Finance and Industrial Labor Relations)
- California Super Lawyers (2004-2017)
- "AV" Martindale-Hubbell Client Review Rating
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Los Angeles Bar Association
- National Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California
- International Association of Defense Counsel