What Makes Richard Deliberately Different
Dick describes his practice as a fascinating mix of complex claims management, risk assessment, policy and endorsement drafting and litigation and arbitration direction for high excess insurer clients. His goals have always been to find sound ways to get to “yes” when a client seeks advice on whether and how to pursue a promising project, to provide the most comprehensive, candid advice to enable clients to make sound litigation and arbitration choices, and to prosecute international coverage arbitrations to the best possible result. His record of success over more than three decades representing many U.S.-, European- and Bermuda-based insurers in numerous international arbitrations attests to his achievement of those goals.
Richard “Dick” Geddes is partner in Sedgwick’s Chicago office and practices primarily in the areas of Insurance and Reinsurance counseling, litigation and arbitration. He has served as co-chair of the firm’s International Counseling and Arbitration Practice Group and the Property and Casualty Insurance Practice Group.Dick has counseled insurers, reinsurers and brokers in connection with mass tort and industry-wide product liability exposures. He also represents them in litigation and arbitrations arising out of catastrophic and serial loss situations and complex and multi-party coverage disputes.
Dick’s clients include major U.S., UK, European and Bermuda-based insurers and reinsurers. He is an award-winning author and a sought-after speaker in insurance industry professional organizations, presenting internationally about current developments in insurance law.
The following list includes representative matters of Bermuda Form confidential arbitrations where Dick acted as U.S. counsel:
- London arbitration of dispute between multinational agri-chem company and Bermuda excess insurer over number of occurrences in multi-year crop damage cases.
- London arbitration of dispute between U.S. automaker and Bermuda excess insurer over policy form meaning of expectation and intention issues concerning vehicle rollover propensity.
- London arbitration of coverage dispute between U.S. automaker and Bermuda insurer regarding injuries resulting from restraint systems defects.
- London arbitration of dispute between large multinational building material manufacturer and Bermuda excess insurer concerning expectation, intention, non-disclosure questions in respect of mass building products losses.
- Bermuda arbitration of dispute between multinational pharmaceutical company and Bermuda excess insurer over expectation and intent questions in respect of sales of contraceptive drug.
- London arbitration between Bermuda insurer and U.S-based rubber product manufacturer regarding Bermuda Form coverage for defective building material claims.
Presentations and Publications
- Dick frequently lectures to insurance industry groups in the U.S., the UK and Europe about current developments in U.S. product liability law, punitive damages and Bermuda Form policy coverage.
- He is the co-author of the award-winning book, The Bermuda Form: Interpretation and Dispute Resolution of Excess Liability Insurance, published by Oxford University Press in 2011.
- New York
- 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Ill.)
- J.D. (1974) University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- B.A. (1969) LeMoyne College
- Selected to Illinois Super Lawyers (2005 - 2013)
- Selected as an Illinois Leading Lawyer (2006-present)
- Listed in the International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom Guide to the World’s Leading Insurance and Reinsurance Lawyers
- 2012 Book of the Year Award, British Insurance Law Association, for book he co-authored: The Bermuda Form: Interpretation and Dispute Resolution of Excess Liability Insurance
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association, Commercial Panel — arbitrator
- London Court of International Arbitration
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-U.S.)