Eryk Gettell handles complex insurance coverage and litigation matters on behalf of insurer clients concerning professional liability, directors and officers liability, employment practices liability, errors and omissions coverage and commercial general liability policies.
Eryk is admitted to practice in California before the United States District Courts for the Central, Eastern, Southern and Northern Districts of California. While in law school, he served as a judicial extern for Judge Martin Burke with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).
Presentations and Publications
- Co-presenter, “Data Breach and Liability Insurance: Managing the Potential Risk and Addressing Claims,” Commercial Law Web Advisor webinar (March 2015, November 2014 and July 2014).
- Author, “Colorado Supreme Court Holds That the Notice-Prejudice Rule Does Not Apply to Date-Certain Notice Requirement in Claims-Made Policies,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (February 2015).
- Author, “Eleventh Circuit Recognizes Important Exception to the Eight Corners Rule,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (April 2014).
- Co-presenter, “California’s Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations,” Client Presentation (December 11, 2013).
- Author, “First Circuit Enforces D&O Policy’s Known Circumstances Exclusion,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (November 26, 2013).
- Author, “California Court Rules That D&O Insurer Not Obligated to Reimburse Screen Actors Guild for Underlying Attorneys’ Fee Award,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (August 2013).
- Author, “New York Court Rules That Professional Services Exclusion Bars Coverage for Underlying Actions Brought by FINRA and Private Investors,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (April 2013).
- Author, “Supreme Court of Washington Holds That Insurers Are Not Entitled to Reimbursement of Non-Covered Defense Costs,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (April 2013).
- Author, “Wisconsin Court of Appeals Clarifies Insurers’ Duty to Defend,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (July 2012).
- Author, “Assault and Battery Exclusion Upheld,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Update (March 2011).
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (C.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal.)
- J.D. (2006) Southwestern University School of Law
- B.A. (2002) University of California, Berkeley
- Exceptional Achievement Award in Employment Law, EEOC
Memberships and Affiliations
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF)
- Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area (AABA)
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA) — Insurance Law Committee (NAPABA ILC)