Ralph Guirgis serves as the firmwide chair of Sedgwick’s Insurance Division. Ralph principally investigates, litigates and advises insurers on policy wordings and relevant emerging issues. He represents insurers in complex coverage disputes before state and federal courts and arbitration panels throughout the United States and internationally, including London and Spain.
Ralph has litigated contractual and extra-contractual matters concerning a wide range of policies and reinsurance agreements including property coverage, financial institutions, directors and officers reimbursement, professional liability, errors and omissions, and commercial general liability insurance. His property coverage experience includes representing an international insurer as national coordinating counsel for all of its Hurricane Katrina claims.
In 2001, Ralph was seconded for approximately one year to Faraday Underwriting Limited. His initial assignment was to analyze various directors and officers claims and assist in developing underwriting criteria; however, he became especially involved in issues concerning the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
Presentations and Publications
Ralph has lectured on a wide array of subjects at numerous speaking engagements including:
- “Challenges and Opportunities for Insurance of U.S. and European FI/D&O Risks in Light of the Current Legal and Business Climate,” Sedgwick’s Annual London Insurance Seminar ― A Global Perspective on FI and D&O, London, England (October 16, 2014).
- “Liability and Coverage Exposures From Property Damage Catastrophe Claims,” Client Presentation, London, England (October 2010).
- “Subprime Litigation and Its Seemingly Ever-Expanding Reach,” Fifth International Liability Regimes Conference (November 6, 2008).
- Various topics including Enron, WorldCom and IPO Allocation Practices, as well as Subprime Litigation, Sedgwick’s Annual London Seminars (2001 − 2004 and 2008).
- “Katrina Legal Update,” Excess/Surplus Lines Claims Association (April 26, 2006).
- “Laddering: What Is It and What Are Its Consequences,” British Insurance Law Association (January 23, 2004).
- “IPO Allocation Practices,” Thirty-Second Annual Conference Excess/Surplus Lines Claims Association, Rancho Bernardo, California (September 15, 2003).
- “IPO Allocation Practices,” Excess/Surplus Lines Claims Association, London, England (May 14, 2003).
- “World Trade Center: Overview of Litigation and Coverage Issues,” Thirty-First Annual Conference Excess/Surplus Lines Claims Association, Monterey, California (February 11, 2002).
- “World Trade Center Coverage Issues,” Excess/Surplus Lines Claims Association, London, England (October 2001).
- J.D. (1989) University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.A. (1986) California State University, Fullerton, cum laude
— Pacific Law Journal assistant comment editor