Tristan Hall specializes in advising on the management and resolution of complex claims, with a particular emphasis on financial, professional and cyber risks. Tristan's practice is London-based, but he is frequently instructed to advise in relation to matters outside the UK. He routinely works in conjunction with specialist lawyers and loss adjusters in other jurisdictions. In addition to his contentious practice, Tristan has significant experience in assisting insurers and intermediaries with bespoke insurance product development and wording reviews.
Tristan has assisted clients in many matters including:
- Significant losses incurred by major European financial institutions as a result of internal/external frauds and resulting claims under crime insurance policies.
- SFO investigation into large listed UK company and associated securities claims.
- High profile misselling claims against financial institutions in connection with various investment products.
- U.S derivative claims against listed hedge fund.
- Breach of trust and dishonest assistance claims against corporate service providers and pension trustees.
- Defence of FRC and ICAEW investigations into conduct of regulated professionals.
- Defence of claims against insolvency office-holders.
- Drafting of various insurance products, including: crime; cyber liability; D & O (conventional and Side A/Excess DIC); investment management insurance; professional liability; and public offering of securities insurance.
Presentations and Publications
- Contributing editor, Offshore Professional Risks newsletter Sedgwick.
- Presenter, “Are U.K. Securities Claims Finally Coming of Age?” Sedgwick’s Annual London Insurance Seminar ― A Global Perspective on FI and D & O, London, England (October 16, 2014).
- Co-presenter, “Cyber Liability for Financial Institutions: A U.S. and European Perspective,” Sedgwick’s Annual London Insurance Seminar ― Financial Institutions, London, England (October 17, 2013).
- Co-author, “A Review of Financial Institutions Claims and Current Trends,” Sedgwick Summary (June 2013).
- Co-author, “General Liability Insurance After the EL Trigger Litigation ― What Is the Current State of Policy Attachment in Injury Cases?” Insurance Law Flash, Sedgwick (July 2012).
- Co-author, “Libor Manipulation Probe and Litigation Update,” Insurance Law Flash, Sedgwick (July 2012).
- Co-author the English chapter of the leading text book Directors’ Liability and Indemnification ― a Global Guide, Second Edition (Globe Law and Business) (January 2011).
- Co-presenter, “Delta One and ETFs ― Emerging Exposures,” Sedgwick’s Annual London Insurance Seminar, London, England (October 2011).
- Author, “Bribery Act to Come Into Force on 1 July 2011,” Insurance Law Flash, Sedgwick (March 2011).
- Author, “Safeway v Twigger: Court of Appeal Prohibits Company From Recovering Fine From Its Former Directors and Officers,” Insurance Law Flash, Sedgwick (January 2011).
- Presenter, “FI Claims ― Latest Trends and Developments Today and in the Future,” C5 Financial Institutions Insurance Conference, London, England (November 2010).
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- B.Sc. (1999) Cardiff University, with honors
- C.P.E. (2000) College of Law at Guildford
- L.P.C (2001) College of Law at Guildford
- The Legal 500 — recommended in insurance and reinsurance litigation (2012).