Lisa Henderson has over 20 years of experience handling insurance coverage disputes, including defense of bad faith lawsuits. She has extensive experience representing and advising insurance carriers with regard to property insurance policies, commercial general liability policies, excess liability policies, directors & officers liability policies, professional liability policies and media liability policies. While in law school, Lisa worked as a property adjuster, handling claims under both personal and commercial property policies, and she has continued to specialize in property insurance disputes. She also represents carriers in bad faith lawsuits involving a variety of policies, including commercial general liability, excess liability, commercial property, homeowners’, and workers’ compensation.
- Defense verdict on behalf of client in an insurance coverage case in which the insured sought reformation of the policy as well as damages and punitive damages for alleged misrepresentations and fraud in the underwriting of the policy.
- Defense verdict on behalf of insurance carrier client in an arson case.
- Summary judgment on behalf of carrier in a bad faith lawsuit seeking coverage for hail damage under a commercial property policy.
- Summary judgment on behalf of carrier in a declaratory judgment action regarding coverage under a homeowners’ insurance policy for an underlying lawsuit alleging defamation.
- Summary judgment on behalf of carrier in a bad faith lawsuit seeking coverage under a commercial general liability policy for an underlying lawsuit alleging defective construction of a condominium.
- Summary judgment on behalf of carrier in a declaratory judgment action seeking coverage as an additional insured under a commercial general liability policy.
- Summary judgment on behalf of reinsurer of a captive insurance company on a hospital professional liability policy.
Publications and Presentations
- “Evolution of the Appraisal Process,” co-author, FDCC Property Insurance Section (March 2, 2016).
- “Appraisal Strategies for Property Claims,” co-presenter, PLRB Regional Adjusters Conferences (2015).
- “Storm Season and Property Insurance: What You Need to Know to be Prepared,” co-presenter, Sedgwick’s 2014 Insurance Webinar Series (June 25, 2014).
- “The State of Bad Faith in Texas,” Sedgwick’s webinar series on Insurance Bad Faith Law (October 30, 2013).
- “Duties After Loss: Enforcing Policy Provisions,” co-presented at the PLRB/LIRB Central Regional Adjusters Conference, Des Moines, Iowa (September 2013).
- “Cookies, Clouds, and Apps: Cyber Threats to Privacy and the Insurance Industry,” co-authored for presentation at the FDCC Insurance Industry Institute (November 16–18, 2011).
- “Emerging Issues Not Yet At The Supreme Court”, co-authored for presentation at the Advanced Insurance Law Course, sponsored by TexasBarCLE and the Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas (April 2-3, 2009).
- “Excess Verdicts: What To Do With The Runaway Train,” presented with Laura Goodman at the PLRB Regional Adjusters Conference (October 2008).
- “Policy BuyBacks: The Perks and the Pitfalls,” co-authored for presentation at UTCLE Insurance Law Institute (October 2007).
- “Survey of Recent Case Law on Liability Insurance Coverage Issues,” PLRB/FDCC Critical Issues Seminar (October 2006).
- “First Party Property Coverage and the Impact of Potential Bad Faith Liability on Claims Handling,” Bermuda Insurance Institute (July 2006).
- “CGL, EIL and MTBE: Show Me the Money” (July 2004).
- “The Cooperation Clause: What Conduct Warrants a Denial of Coverage,” Zurich Seminar (May 2003).
Lisa is an editor of the firm’s Insurance Law Blog, Media Law Bulletin and Property Insurance Year in Review. She has also contributed numerous articles to the Insurance Law Blog, including:
- “S.B. 112 – Proposed Property Insurance Reform Bill in Texas” (February 2013).
- “Texas Courts Continue to Address Appraisal Procedures” (March 2012).
- “Carrier Did Not Waive Rights to Appraisal in Hurricane Ike Case” (November 2011).
- “Texas Appellate Court Enforces Jurisdictional Bar in Workers Compensation Bad Faith Case” (July 2009).
- “Policy Providing Coverage for ‘Subsidiary Corporation’ Does Not Cover Subsidiary LLCs” (February 2009).
- “Texas Supreme Court Rules that Actual Injury is the Trigger for Property Damage” (August 2008).
- “Court Reaffirms Claimants Must Exhaust Administrative Remedies to Pursue Bad Faith” (August 2007).
- “Excuse of Late Notice Under a Claims-Made Policy?” (April 2007).
- “Texas Supreme Court Rules on Prejudgment Interest and Attorney’s Fees in UIM Cases” (January 2007).
- “Additional Insureds Must Be Named in Underlying Petition to Get Policy Coverage” (November 2006).
- “Texas Supreme Court Finds Mold Claim Not Covered under Ensuing Loss Provision” (September 2006).
- “Dispute Regarding Extent of Loss Subject to Appraisal” (August 2006).
- “Coverage Excluded for Additional Insured’s Sole Negligence” (June 2006).
- U.S. District Court (D. Or.)
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Tex.)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Tex.)
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Tex.)
- U.S. District Court (W.D. Tex.)
- U.S. District Court (W.D. Wash.)
- J.D. (1995) Northwestern School of Law at Lewis & Clark College
- B.S. (1989) University of California, Berkeley
Memberships and Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association