What Makes Laurie Deliberately Different
Laurie has redirected the focus of her legal practice several times, as the needs of her clients changed and new opportunities arose. This experience has taught her how to listen carefully to her clients, understand their needs and clearly define their goals. She has used this flexible strategy during her entire career. She started her path in the law as a medical malpractice defense lawyer, and then transitioned to focusing on complex and unusual coverage and reinsurance matters. For the past decade, she has used her knowledge and experience to advise clients on the increasing and varied exposures they face from cyber risks and on the development of insurance products to address those risks.
Laurie Kamaiko is a member of Sedgwick’s Cybersecurity and Privacy leadership team as well as a member of the Insurance Division. Her practice focuses on advising clients on emerging and complex risks, including cybersecurity, terrorism and natural catastrophes. She assists clients in limiting their exposure to cyber incidents and in responding to data breaches and related litigation. Laurie has extensive experience in counseling companies in the insurance and reinsurance industry on the handling of claims and coverage issues arising from these events, as well as working closely with such companies on new product development and policy wordings.
Laurie's practice includes providing advice to insurers and reinsurers on other complex coverage issues and negotiating resolution of coverage disputes and litigating coverage actions. She has successfully represented numerous clients in coverage matters concerning general liability claims, professional liability insurance, environmental risks and matters with extra contractual exposures and first party coverage. All these generally involve significant damages and complex liability issues.
Presentations and Publications
Author, “Ever Expanding Scope of Cyber Risks: All Policy Lines Beware,” TransRe Global Cyber Newsletter (3rd Quarter, 2017).
- Co-author, “CareFirst And Constitutional Standing: A Post-Spokeo Review,” Law360 (August 31, 2017).
- Panelist, “Reinsurance,” NetDiligence Cyber Risk & Privacy Liability Forum, Philadelphia (June 7, 2017).
- Co-author, “Other States Start to Follow New York Lead on Cybersecurity of Regulated Entities,” Sedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog (May 3, 2017).
- Co-author, “Breach Notification Update: New Mexico Becomes 48th State Requiring Breach Notification and Tennessee Adds a Safer Harbor for Encryption,” Sedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog (April 20, 2017)
- Co-author, “Cybercrime: Building an Effective Defense,” GlobeSt.com (April 18, 2017).
- Co-author, “Are You a Cyber Target? What to Watch to Keep Your Company From Being the Next Victim,” Construction Business Owner Magazine (February 2017).
- Co-author, “FTC Settles Ashley Madison Data Breach Complaint,” Sedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog (December 16, 2016).
- Panelist, “Cyber Product Evolution,” NetDiligence Cyber Risk & Privacy Liability Forum, Santa Monica California (October 18, 2016).
- Author, “Social Engineering Cons: Which Insurance Policy Pays?” Carrier Management (September 25, 2016).
- Author, “Size Does Not Matter When It Comes to OCR Investigations of HIPAA Violations,” Sedgwick’s Cybersecurity Today Blog (August 22, 2016).
- Panelist, “Insurers Speak Out on What Insurance Companies are Doing in Terms of Preparedness for a Cyber Event and an Examination of What the Role of the Compliance Departments Should Be,” ACI 12th National Forum on Insurance Regulation, New York City (July 25, 2016).
- Author, “Managing Risk: Cyber Insurance as a Tool for Managing and Mitigating Cyber Risk,” Practicing Law Institute’s Seventeenth Annual Institute on Privacy and Data Security Law, Vol. 1(2016 Edition).
- Co-author, “Spokeo’s Impact on Data Breach Litigation,” Law360 (June 16, 2016).
- Speaker, “Cyber Risks: An Evolving Landscape,” International Association of Claim Professionals (IACP) U. S. Regional Conference, New York City (June 2, 2016).
- Speaker, “Trends in Crisis Management — Cyber Risks and Exposures: An Expanding Landscape,” Sedgwick Spring Seminar, London (April 27, 2016).
- Panelist, “Cybersecurity of Insurers: The Evolving Landscape,” Sedgwick LLP 7th Annual Insurance Regulation and Litigation Seminar, Sacramento California (March 8, 2016).
- Speaker, “Cyber Risks: An Evolving Landscape – A perspective for Insurers of US Risks,” London (February 15, 2016).
- Speaker, “Attorney-Client Privilege Issues: How Do They Affect Cyber Incident Preparedness and Breach Response?” London (February 10, 2016).
- Moderator, “Customer Information and Privacy Laws,” Advisen’s 2nd Annual Predictive Modeling Conference, New York City (January 14, 2016).
- Participant, “War Games,” Advisen Risk Insights Conference, New York City (October 20, 2015).
- Panelist, “Attorney/Client Privilege Issues Arising out of Breach Notification,” American Conference Institute’s Cyber and Data Risk Insurance Conference (September 30, 2015).
- Panelist, “Emerging Cyber Risks: Terrorism, Crime and Ransomware,” PLUS Cyber Symposium (September 17, 2015).
- Host, “Privacy After Hours Is Coming to New York City on January 28!” IAPP (January 28, 2015).
- Speaker, “Cyber Risk: What are the Risks?” Reinsurance Association of America — Re Claims: Reinsurance Claims and Loss Management (October 16, 2014).
- Panelist, “Advanced Cyber Coverage,” NetDiligence Cyber Risk and Privacy Liability Forum (October 8, 2014).
- Panelist, “Social/Interactive Media: Evaluating Risks as a Result of the Latest Cyber Threats,” American Conference Institute’s Cyber and Data Risk Insurance Conference (September 30, 2014).
- Speaker, “Litigation Trends,” Advisen Cyber Liability Insurance Conference (October 2014).
- Laurie Kamaiko Clarifies Terminology and Insurance Implications on The Daily Beast (March 27, 2014).
- Speaker, “Cyber Risks: An Ever Evolving Landscape,” International Underwriters Association, London (February 26, 2014).
- Speaker, “Cyber Risk and Insurance: Square Pegs and Round Holes?,” IRLA Members Breakfast Briefing, Insurance and Reinsurance Legacy Association, London (February 26, 2014).
- Panelist, “Cyber Crime: How to Protect Yourself and Your Business,” Leading Women of Southern New England (November 24, 2013).
- Panelist, “BYOD and Social Media: Navigating a Shifting Risk Landscape,” Advisen Cyber Liability Conference (October 24, 2013).
- Speaker, “Willis Fortune 1000 Cyber Disclosure Webinar,” Willis Webinar (October 16, 2013).
- Moderator, “Cyber Risks,” 5th Annual Reactions North America Conference, New York City (September 25, 2013).
- Speaker, “Cyber Risk Exposures: Data Breach Response and Insurance Coverage Issues,” Lloyd’s Old Library, London (September 10, 2013).
- Panelist, “Data Analytics and Aggregations,” Net Diligence Cyber Risk and Privacy Liability Forum, Philadelphia (June 6-7, 2013).
- Co-author, “Issue Spotting the Marathon Bombings — A Look at Potential Claims and Implicated Coverages,” Claims Management Magazine (May 7, 2013).
- Speaker and Co-author, “Hot Topics in Coverage B Litigation — How Elastic Is the Scope of Coverage B: Recent Attempts to Expand the Application of Coverage B,” DRI 2013 Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute (April 12, 2013).
- Speaker, “Master Workshop: Everyone’s Nightmare: Privacy and Data Breach Risks,” LMA Lloyd’s Market Academy Master Class (February 8, 2013).
- Co-author, “When Sandy Became a Superstorm But Not a Hurricane: The Effect on Deductibles,” Wholesale Insurance News, Volume 2, Issue 4 (Spring 2013).
- Co-author, “Getting the Deal Through,” USA analysis chapter, Insurance and Reinsurance, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- Co-Chair and Panelist, “Born in the USA: Current Lessons From the Home of Cyber Risk Insurance to Improve Your European Policies,” London, C5’s Data Protection, Cyber Risk and Information Security Conference (October 2012).
- Speaker, “Negotiating and Drafting Specialized Cyber Risk Provisions and Policies to Cover Data Loss Arising From Cloud Computing,” American Conference Institute’s Cyber and Data Risk Insurance Forum (September 2012).
- Co-author, “US Data Protection: Under Close Scrutiny,” Bermuda Captive Magazine (June 2012).
- Co-author, “Big Brother Is Online and a Rising Risk for Insurers,” Law360 (March 29, 2012).
- Co-author, “Online Behavioral Advertising/Tracking Litigation: A Rising Risk Facing Insurers and Insureds,” Edwards Wildman Insurance and Reinsurance Review (March 2012).
- Speaker, “Market Scan: Available Products, Scope of Coverage and Typical Terms,” C5 Forum on Data Risk, Cyber and Network Security Insurance, London (September 20, 2011).
- Presenter, Mock Trial, CLM 2nd Annual Litigation Management Conference, Bermuda (October 20, 2010).
- Panelist, “Assessing What a Breach and a Resulting Claim Is Really Worth,” 4th National Advanced Forum on Cyber and Data Risk Insurance (September 27-28, 2010).
- Speaker, “Dealing with Data Breaches: Legal, Practical, and Financial Issues,” Massachusetts Health Data Consortium Seminar (September 17, 2010).
- Co-author, “A New Exposure of the Information Age: Data Breaches of Personal Information,” Journal of Reinsurance (Spring 2010).
- Speaker, “Data Protection Challenges for Bank Insurance Programs in the U.S.: New and Upcoming Deadlines and Exposures,” American Bankers Insurance Association Teleconference (March 11, 2010).
- New York
- U.S. District Court (E.D.N.Y.)
- U.S. District Court (S.D.N.Y.)
- J.D. Boston University School of Law
- B.A. Vassar College
- New York Super Lawyers (2010-2012)
Memberships and Affiliations
- New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Association Insurance
- Association of Professional Insurance Women (APIW) — past president
- American Bar Association, Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Section
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)