What Makes Joel Deliberately Different
Whether on the hockey rink or in the courtroom, Joel’s competitive nature drives him to the desired results. His daily interactions with people of all walks of life, and his wide-ranging practice areas, make Joel uniquely situated to handle crossover cases and novel issues. His experiences have also given him the perspective to evaluate when a case will benefit from a cooperative or a competitive approach.
Joel Kane is an associate in Sedgwick’s San Francisco office whose practice spans a wide range of matters, including commercial, labor and employment law, premises liability, products liability and toxic tort litigation. Joel’s practice also includes litigating and providing advice regarding landlord tenant and real estate issues and contractual disputes. Joel also represents clients in negotiating and drafting leases, loan documents and business services agreements.
Labor and Employment
Joel has extensive experience representing management in all areas of employment litigation, including wage and hour, harassment and discrimination disputes. He also provides advice and counsel regarding a variety of employment and business-related matters. His clients range from small businesses with less than 10 employees, to international corporations with thousands of employees.
Joel has obtained favorable results for his clients in a variety of actions and administrative proceedings regarding various allegations, including claims involving wage and hour violations, discrimination, reasonable accommodation and misclassification.
Personal Injury/ Premises Liability
Joel has significant experiencing representing clients in personal injury actions from muscular injuries to wrongful death. He has defended businesses in negligence, premises liability and product liability actions, including matters involving claims of exposure to carcinogenic substances. He has also successfully defended numerous claims for punitive damages.
Commercial/ Business Litigation
Joel has successfully represented clients in numerous actions involving breach of contract, fraud, negligence, lost profits, interference with economic advantage and breach of fiduciary duty. He has obtained favorable results for clients in a variety of actions involving service agreements, construction disputes, real property leases and shareholder claims.
Joel represents maritime clients regarding claims for Jones Act negligence, unseaworthiness, and maintenance and cure due to alleged unsafe practices and conditions, and asbestos exposure aboard ships. He also has experience investigating incidents, including inspecting ships, interviewing crew members and coordinating necessary follow-up procedures with state and federal agencies.
- Summary judgment granted for a water purification distributor in defense of a malicious prosecution action
- Favorable labor commissioner results for hotel client in wage and hour disputes
- Reduced and reversed Cal-OSHA penalties imposed against a gas station
- Negotiated a substantially reduced settlement on a wage and hour claim for a salon client
- Summary adjudication granted on punitive damages claims in a product liability action
Presentations and Publications
- Co-author, “Ending the Client Relationship,” part 2, California Lawyer (November 2015).
- Co-author, “Ending the Client Relationship,” part 1, California Lawyer (October 2015).
- Co-author, “Systemwide Failure to Provide Breaks May Lead to Class Claims,” California Employment Law Letter (August 2015).
- Co-author, “Arbitration clauses: Say What You Mean,” California Employment Law Letter (December 2014).
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal.)
- J.D. (2010) McGeorge School of Law, with distinction
- B.A. (2006) University of California at San Diego