Mark Kendall is a partner of Sedgwick’s London office. He is a leading lawyer in insurance and reinsurance, whose practice incorporates policy coverage and international dispute management including arbitration. His particular area of focus is property and casualty (international and U.K.) and product recall and liability in all major sectors, including food, automotive and pharmaceutical.
Mark has been ranked as a Leading Lawyer in Chambers Latin America Guide, where commentators have noted his “strong regional knowledge” and “wealth of experience and calm demeanor” that “can put you at ease if there is a complex matter,” adding that he “knows what you’re going to ask before you ask it” and “takes the time to know what each insurer would want to know and tailors his advice.”
- Representing retrocessionaires in High Court proceedings arising from a Venezuelan oil refinery fire in 2012.
- Representing excess insurers in arbitration proceedings involving a global food company, concerning food contamination issues in China and coverage under a Restaurant Contamination policy.
- Advising insurers in relation to a coverage dispute concerning a Government Recall policy, following suspension notices served in California on a national food producer.
- Advising primary insurers of a project policy in German proceedings, following the collapse of the construction of an underground system in Cologne and the destruction of the National Archive.
- Representing the Public Liability insurers of the Bedfordshire Police Authority in Court of Appeal proceedings arising from the destruction of the Yarl’s Wood Detention Centre in 2002.
- Advising London Market insurers in relation to coverage issues arising from the horsemeat food fraud scandal in 2013.
- Managing the defence of class actions in Colombia arising from terrorist attacks to oil production facilities part owned by BP and Total.
- Advising London market insurers in relation to pan-European recalls by Renault and Nissan.
- Advising London Market Association on the next generation of PCA94 (Public and Product Liability).
- Representing Excess Casualty insurers in relation to a dispute over scope of project policy for a London construction site following a fire.
Presentations and Publications
Mark regularly comments in the national media on insurance and product issues. He is the consulting editor of and contributor to the textbook, Product Recall, Liability and Insurance ― a Global Guide, Globe Law and Business (2012).
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- L.P.C (1995) The College of Law, York, with commendation
- LL.B. (1994) The University of Manchester
- Chambers Global, The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business directory, ranked in Chambers Global: Latin America-wide Insurance and UK - Insurance: Contentious Claims & Reinsurance both the Latin America-wide, 2013-2017 and UK sections for Insurance: Latin America, 2013–2016
Memberships and Affiliations
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Product Liability Forum