What Makes Robert Deliberately Different
Whether it is defending against one or 10,000 plaintiffs, he provides the attention to detail that always fits his client’s needs.
Robert Kum is an active trial attorney whose practice specializes in complex litigation matters concerning catastrophic injuries and business disputes in various state and federal courts throughout the United States. He has extensive experience in dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation, and has served as a mediator for the Los Angeles County Superior Court.
As head of the Toxic Tort Practice Group for the Los Angeles office, Robert leads a team of attorneys that defend various actions ranging from a single plaintiff to mass torts involving thousands of plaintiffs. He provides multiple services to his clients, including mock trials and preparing corporate witnesses for trial and depositions. He also provides guidance to companies concerning the latest technological advances and cost-saving measures applied to various forms of litigation.
Robert's litigation services have included:
- National coordinating and trial counsel in benzene cases venued throughout the United States.
- Defense of high-exposure product liability claims with trials in California, Missouri and Pennsylvania.
- Defense of mass tort cases involving benzene and chromium exposure.
- National counsel for diacetyl and other food flavoring lawsuits.
- Defense of groundwater contamination and other environmental matters.
- Prosecution and defense of commercial disputes on behalf of various business entities and individuals.
- Defense of asbestos and silica cases venued in various jurisdictions.
- Defense of medical device and pharmaceutical companies.
- Defense of personal injury lawsuits against hair care industries.
- Representation of big box retailers in products liability lawsuits.
- Guidance to clients regarding regulatory and compliance issues including Prop 65 and state and federal hazard communications requirements.
Notable trial wins for Robert include:
- Defense verdict obtained in first diacetyl case to be tried in California.
- Defense verdict in product liability action venued in the United States District Court of California (Eastern Division).
- Sylvan Gerber v. Kavano Construction Corp et al — $450,000 jury verdict obtained in breach of fiduciary duty/constructive fraud action venued in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Pacific Rim Assurance v. L.A. Airline Inc. — Bench trial verdict obtained on behalf of insurance company in breach of contract action.
- “Consumer Products Act May Be Regulatory Overkill,” Law360.
- “An Overview of the Underlying Policy and Application of the Raw Material and Bulk Supplier Defenses,” DRI Toxic Tort Quarterly.
- “Reclassification of Two Industrial Chemicals in New Report on Carcinogens May Increase Toxic Tort Litigation,” Los Angeles Daily Journal.
- District of Columbia
- 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court (C.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (E.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Cal.)
- J.D. (1996) Pepperdine University School of Law
- B.A. (1991) University of California, Berkeley
- “Top Defense Verdicts of 2012” for the defense verdict he obtained in the first diacetyl case to be tried in California, Daily Journal
- Southern California Super Lawyer, 2009−2017, publishers of Los Angeles Magazine and The Journal for Law & Politics
- Southern California Super Lawyer — Rising Star, 2005−2008, publishers of Los Angeles Magazine and The Journal for Law & Politics
Memberships and Affiliations
- American Bar Association, Toxic Tort Subcommittee
- Defense Research Institute, Toxic Tort Subcommittee