Andrew Milne, an associate in Sedgwick’s London office, focuses his practice on insurance coverage with a particular emphasis on Directors & Officers liability and claims involving financial institutions.
Andrew mainly advises insurers in London and Bermuda. Most of his work is international-related. He has advised on claims in Ireland, the US, Brazil, Mauritius, Italy, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Belgium, the Isle of Man, Poland and Singapore.
Andrew’s experience includes advising insurers on claims involving banks, investment managers, offshore funds, corporate trustees, insolvency practitioners, pharmaceutical companies, private equity companies, accountants, financial advisers, oil and mining companies, and state owned utilities companies.
He also has defended claims against insurers brought under third parties rights legislation and by Bermuda Form policyholders.
In addition to advising insurers on D&O, FI and PI claims, Andrew also advises on CGL claims, including coverage under pharmaceutical product liability and general liability policies. He has produced a claims handling guide for a global insurer regarding public liability, product liability and employers’ liability claims.
Prior to joining Sedgwick, Andrew practiced in the Professional Risks department of a UK firm. He has also been seconded to a leading pharmaceutical company.
- Advising insurers on liquidation claims and a US securities class action against the directors & officers of a Guernsey hedge managed by one of the world’s largest private equity groups.
- Advising reinsurers on claims in Brazil against the directors & officers of a Brazilian state utility company in respect of alleged corruption.
- Advising excess insurers in relation to the Samarco mining disaster in November 2015.
- Advising insurers on civil and criminal proceedings in Italy against directors and officers of an Italian telecommunications company nominated by a private equity fund.
- Advising insurers on their exposure to D&O and EPL claims in relation to financial issues involving an Irish insurance company.
- Advising insurers on civil proceedings in Belgium against the former directors of an Irish life settlement fund.
- Successfully defending excess insurers in coverage litigation involving a pharmaceutical company and concerning a patent infringement liability policy.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-authored “Growth of global litigation funding market to drive increase in D&O claims” published in Insurance Day (June 21, 2017).
- Co-author, UK Chapter of the Third Edition of Directors’ Liability and Indemnification (October 2016).
- Sedgwick Publication — Rising Tide of US Securities’ Claims Against Brazilian Companies: Practical Guidance from a D&O Perspective (October 2016).
- Sedgwick Publication — The Insurance Act 2015 and Enterprise Act 2016: Practical Underwriting and Claims Advice for London Market Insurers (July 2016).
- Sedgwick Publication — Eye on Insurance: A Look Back at 2015 and Forward to 2016: Directors & Officers, Financial Institutions and Insurance Act 2015 (January 2016).
- Sedgwick Publication — Eye on Insurance: A Look Back at 2014 and Forward to 2015: Directors & Officers, Financial Institutions and Professional Indemnity (January 2015).
- Sedgwick Publication — Eye on Insurance: A Look Back at 2013 and Forward to 2014: Directors & Officers and Financial Institutions (January 2014).
- Insurance Post: Half-Baked Reform (January 2010).
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- L.P.C (2007) BPP Law School, with distinction
- B.A. (2005) Durham University, with honors
- G.D.L. (2006) BPP Law School, with commendation
Memberships and Affiliations
- Law Society
- British Insurance Law Association (BILA)