Sean Simpson specializes in commercial insurance and reinsurance matters and has represented U.S. and London market insurers in litigation and counseling on complex matters pertaining to directors and officers liability, bankers liability and fidelity bonds, securities broker/dealer liability, commercial general liability, commercial property, intellectual property liability, and professional errors and omissions liability, including many of the highest profile and most significant matters in the past decade.
Sean has also assisted London market insurers in developing innovative policy wording to cover new and emerging risks. In 2015, Sean seconded to Liberty Specialty Markets where he offered advice and analysis on significant professional liability claims.
In 1996, Sean externed for California Supreme Court Chief Justice Ronald George, where he evaluated and drafted opinions on significant and developing legal issues at the forefront of California jurisprudence.
Presentations and Publications
- Trigger of Coverage,” Chapter 3, co-author, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (2016).
- “Other Insurance Clauses,” Chapter 7, co-author, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (2016).
- “Settlement,” Chapter 9, co-author, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (2016).
- Presenter, “A Roadmap for Obtaining Claim Documentation and Avoiding the Path to Unnecessary Litigation,” London, England (October 2015).
- “Tenth Circuit Applies Broad Interpretation of ’Interrelated Wrongful Acts’ Under New York Law,’ Sedgwick's Insurance Law Blog (June 2013).
- “Ninth Circuit Rules on Insurer’s Duty to Settle Within Policy Limits,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Blog (June 2012).
- Presenter, Cyber Liability Webinar (February 2012).
- “No Coverage for Employees’ Wrongful Deaths From Toxic Exposure,” Sedgwick's Insurance Law Update (June 2011).
- “Ninth Circuit Rules on Impact of Insolvent Primary Insurer,” Sedgwick’s Insurance Law Update (May 2009).
- Presenter, “The PLUS Northern Chapter and Golden Gate CPCU Society: MELTDOWN! The Impact of the Subprime Crisis on Professional & General Liability” (August 2008).
- “Could the Best of Tightrope Walkers Manage to Walk the Line Between Race-Consciousness and Race-Predominance — An Analysis of Race-Based Districting in Light of Miller v. Johnson,” Pepperdine Law Review.
- J.D. (1997) Pepperdine University School of Law, cum laude
- B.A. (1994) California State Polytechnic University, cum laude
Memberships and Affiliations
- California State Bar
- Orange County Bar Association