What Makes Edward Deliberately Different
Edward Smerdon offers clients a free-thinking, problem-solving approach and in-depth market knowledge. He is regarded as a “trusted adviser” to his clients. He is recognised by Chambers and Partners and Legal 500 as a leading individual and an acknowledged market leader in the insurance and reinsurance areas, including coverage disputes and product development.
Edward is the managing partner of Sedgwick’s London office and an at-large member of Sedgwick’s Executive Committee. The office is deliberately different from other law offices in London, offering a highly bespoke, non-commoditised, partner-led service to its clients, with the capability and resources of an insurance- and litigation-dedicated US firm behind it.
Edward is recognised as a leading lawyer in insurance and reinsurance, including coverage disputes, non-contentious product development, and transactional work. His particular emphasis is on liability insurance/ reinsurance, where he has developed a market leading role in the field of Directors & Officers (D&O) liability, financial institutions, pharmaceutical product liability insurance, and casualty, in particular, CGL and Umbrella insurance and reinsurance.
Nearly all of Edward’s work is international-related. He mainly acts for London and Bermuda insurance markets and continental European insurers. He has become a leading authority on the interaction between D&O insurance and indemnification.
Edward has received praise in Chambers and Partners UK and Global as “very-supportive, reliable and hands-on.” He has particular expertise in major international casualty and financial lines cases. Directories also describe him as an expert in insurance and reinsurance and a leading figure in D&O liability.
The 2015 Insurance and Reinsurance Expert Guide, published by Euromoney’s Legal Media Group, recognised Edward as an expert in the areas of insurance and reinsurance. The Legal 500 United Kingdom referral guide has consistently recognised him as a “leading individual” and “acknowledged market leader” and named him a 2014 recommended lawyer in the insurance and reinsurance litigation and professional negligence sections.
Presentations and Publications
- Co-authored “Growth of global litigation funding market to drive increase in D&O claims” published in Insurance Day (June 21, 2017).
- Consulting editor of Directors’ Liability and Indemnification, A Global Guide, Third Edition published by Global Law and Business 2016. The third edition of this leading text book is a powerful tool in assisting directors, officers, in-house counsel and private practice lawyers advising them to make well-informed judgements about the risks they are taking.
- Co-authored Chapter 13 — UK and European Exposures, and UK Coverage in the Directors & Officers Liability Insurance Deskbook, Fourth Edition, published by the American Bar Association in August, 2016. Now updated, this book has evolved to include the expansion of corporate liabilities, the terms of the policies at issue, and the judicial interpretations. This book is a valuable reference tool for navigating the current landscape and providing synopsis of important judicial decisions (in various jurisdictions) on the key provisions.
- Co-presenter of “What you need to know about the latest trends in International D&O” at the 2016 AIRMIC Conference arrogate, UK (6-8 June 2016).
- Author, “Structuring Multinational Insurance Programmes: Fundamental Questions for Directors and Officers to Ask Before They Assume Personal Liability,” Westlaw Journal Corporate Officers & Directors Liability (25 August 2014).
- Contributor, A Practical Guide to Corporate Governance, Sweet & Maxwell, Fifth Edition (2014).
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- LL.B. (1989) The University of Manchester, (Honours Degree in Law)
- Chambers Global, The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business directory, ranked in U.K., Insurance: Contentious Claims
- Chambers U.K., ranked as a leading lawyer in insurance and professional liability, 2006 − 2018
- Expert in Insurance and Reinsurance, The 2015 Insurance and Reinsurance Expert Guide, Euromoney’s Legal Media Group
- Recommended Lawyer, insurance and reinsurance litigation and professional negligence, The Legal 500 United Kingdom, 2015