Duncan Strachan represents clients in the London market on insurance and reinsurance coverage matters. He advises on all aspects of insurance and reinsurance, with experience in the fields of casualty, property, financial institutions, professional indemnity and construction.
Duncan deals regularly with large and complex cases across Latin America. He is experienced in advising on litigation defence and coverage issues in the key jurisdictions, including Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador, Argentina, and Venezuela. His Latin American expertise covers the energy industry, the utilities sector, and financial services. Recognised as “up and coming” in Chambers Latin America Guide (2017), clients say that Duncan “stands out for his proactive approach and willingness to include all parties where he can,” and ”he is very approachable and brings a calmness to the process.”
As well as his broad international experience, Duncan advises clients on commercial disputes in the UK and Europe. He advises on general liability, construction disputes and product liability claims.
He is fluent in Spanish and has a good understanding of Portuguese and French.
- Representing London retrocessionaires in High Court proceedings arising from a major Venezuelan oil refinery loss.
- Coverage defence of oil pipeline losses in Colombia, advising on technical aspects of Colombian law, including attachment and non-disclosure.
- Advising on coverage for environmental clean-up following an oil spillage in Chile.
- Managing the defence of class actions in Colombia arising from significant casualties caused by a terrorist attack to a pipeline operated by a company part-owned by BP and Total.
- Handling the response to claims by former directors of a well known Argentinean football club, on behalf of retrocessionaires in London.
- Advising primary insurers of a construction project policy in German proceedings, following the collapse of an underground railway tunnel.
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker on the Latin America panel at the ABA 2016 Insurance Seminar (April 2016).
- “Developments in Property and Casualty Clauses,” Falconbury Advanced Reinsurance Wordings Seminar (April 2016).
- Author of Latin America Overview Chapter, The Insurance and Reinsurance Law Review, 3rd and 4th Edition (2015-2016).
- “Latin America, Reinsurance,” Eye On Insurance: A Look Back at 2015 and Forward to 2016, Sedgwick LLP (2016).
- “Latin America,” Eye On Insurance: A Look Back at 2014 and Forward to 2015, Sedgwick LLP (2015).
- Guide to Class Actions in Latin America, Sedgwick LLP White Paper (September 2014).
- “Focus on Latin America,” Xchanging Energy Newsletter (September 2013).
- “Reaping Rewards in Latin America,” Insurance Day and Insurance Research Letter (July 2011).
- Revista Mercado Aesgurador: América Latina, Cosecha de Recompensas.
- England and Wales, Solicitor
- L.P.C (2004) Nottingham Law School
- B.A. (2003) University of Sheffield, with honors
- Chambers Global, The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business directory, listed as “Up and Coming” in both the Latin America-wide, Insurance, 2013–2017, and UK-Insurance: Contentious Claims & Reinsurance 2013–2016
- The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2013 and 2014) ― Latin America-wide and UK sections for Insurance: Latin America