James D. Wangelin concentrates his practice on international arbitration of insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, and the management of related claims. He represents reinsurers and carriers in the United States, Bermuda and Europe.
James also handles professional liability matters, particularly in the healthcare and legal fields, and general commercial litigation. He has conducted dozens of trials and arbitrations in numerous jurisdictions in the United States, United Kingdom, Bermuda and elsewhere.
Arbitrations and Trials
On behalf of various insurers and reinsurers, Mr. Wangelin has conducted more than a dozen major international insurance coverage arbitrations in London, Montreal, Bermuda and Singapore and similar domestic arbitrations in New York, Washington, D.C., Houston, Chicago and elsewhere. He has also represented various healthcare providers and insurers in both jury and bench trials and has successfully argued appeals in the 7th Circuit, and the Appellate and Supreme Courts of Illinois and Delaware.
Presentations and Publications
Mr. Wangelin has given numerous presentations on arbitration, insurance and reinsurance issues.
- Author, “Buttressing the Pillars of Arbitration,” Mealey’s Reinsurance, Vol. 14, No. 19 (Feb. 5, 2004).
- Author, “Effective Selection of Arbitrators in International Arbitration,” Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, Vol. 14, No. 11 (Nov. 1999).
- 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Ill.)
- J.D. (1974) University of Michigan Law School
- A.B. (1969) University of Michigan (Economics), with distinction
- David C. Hilliard Award, Chicago Bar Association
- Selected to Illinois Super Lawyers (2006, 2009, 2011 - 2014)
- Listed by Leading Lawyers in the categories of ADR Law: Commercial Litigation, ADR Law: International, and Insurance Coverage & Reinsurance Law
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chicago International Dispute Resolution Association — director
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) — fellow
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS)
- Leading Lawyers Network’s Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section — director (1979−1981)
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Lawyer Services Committee — chairman (1977−1982)
- Governor’s Advisory Board for Illinois Credit Unions (1980-1981)