James D. Wangelin concentrates his practice on international arbitration of insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes, and the management of related claims. He represents reinsurers and carriers in the United States, Bermuda and Europe.
Mr. Wangelin also handles professional liability matters, particularly in the healthcare and legal fields, and general commercial litigation. He has conducted dozens of trials and arbitrations in numerous jurisdictions in the US, UK, Bermuda and elsewhere.
Presentations and Publications
Mr. Wangelin has given numerous presentations on arbitration, insurance and reinsurance issues.
- Author, “Buttressing the Pillars of Arbitration,” Mealey’s Reinsurance, Vol. 14, No. 19 (Feb. 5, 2004).
- Author, “Effective Selection of Arbitrators in International Arbitration,” Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, Vol. 14, No. 11 (Nov. 1999).
- 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court (N.D. Ill.)
- J.D. (1974) University of Michigan Law School
- A.B. (1969) University of Michigan (Economics), with distinction
- David C. Hilliard Award, Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois Super Lawyer (various years)
- Leading Lawyer, ADR
- Leading Lawyer, Insurance/Reinsurance
Memberships and Affiliations
- Chicago International Dispute Resolution Association — director
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb) — fellow
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS)
- Leading Lawyers Network’s Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section — director (1979−1981)
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section, Lawyer Services Committee — chairman (1977−1982)
- Governor’s Advisory Board for Illinois Credit Unions (1980-1981)