Stephanie Sheridan concentrates her practice in business and commercial litigation including consumer class actions, products liability, and matters involving California Business & Professions Code Section 17200 and the Consumer Legal Remedies Act. She also counsels clients regarding California’s Proposition 65 and compliance with the mandates of the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Ms. Sheridan is Chair of the firm’s Retail and Fashion Industry Practice Group, which represents retailers across the country in all aspects of litigation, and counsels clients in compliance with state and local laws, regulations and agency mandates.
Ms. Sheridan’s class action defense practice includes an established track record of successful initial motion practice and defeating class certification. Her experience includes the defense of a Fortune 10 company in a national class action involving allegations of consumer fraud, deceptive trade practices, warranty and statutory claims; the defeat of a consumer class actions on behalf of an automobile manufacturer on a motion to dismiss; and the defense of an international office services company in consumer class actions involving claims of statutory violations.
Based on her in-depth knowledge across different business sectors, coupled with her extensive trial experience, Ms. Sheridan is known for her ability to identify strategic resolutions that protect and balance her clients’ financial interests, business objectives and customer relationships.
- Lead National Counsel for retailers and manufacturers in “no injury” consumer class actions.
- Successful resolution and negotiated dismissals of FACTA (Fair & Accurate Credit Transactions Act) and Song-Beverly Credit Card Act class actions.
- Class action counsel for Fortune 10 company in consumer class actions in multistate matters.
- Handled class action matters throughout several states on behalf of nationwide retailers and fashion accessory companies with respect to alleged data security/privacy statute violations.
- Acted as National Counsel for the largest domestic manufacturer of airbags for over a decade.
- Active Proposition 65 practice representing retailers, fashion industry interests, and the food and nutritional supplement industry.
Jury Trial Experience
Ms. Sheridan has tried many civil jury actions to verdict, which have all resulted in defense verdicts or, in one case, a verdict that required no monetary payout from her client. Her defense verdict in an alleged brain injury case was chosen by the California Daily Journal as one of the “Top 10 Defense Verdicts in 2003.” The publication ran a feature story in January 2004 on Ms. Sheridan and her successful defense strategy.
She has also successfully defended at trial the food and hospitality industry, an automotive component manufacturer and a large utility company.
Presentations & Publications
Ms. Sheridan writes and speaks on products liability and complex litigation issues. Her published work and presentations include:
- “Deceptive Pricing Lawsuit Settlements Continue,” co-author, Sedgwick’s Retail Practice Alert (November 11, 2015).