Nora Wetzel is a commercial litigation attorney at Sedgwick’s San Francisco office. Ms. Wetzel advises clients regarding their compliance with U.S. federal and state privacy and information laws, data security, breach responses and state and federal security breach notification laws.
Ms. Wetzel also provides prompt and efficient legal service to healthcare entities, consumer product manufacturers and distributors, commercial landlords and tenants, business owners, property owners, developers, public utilities, general contractors and subcontractors on litigation matters involving commercial real estate disputes, cybersecurity and privacy, construction projects for private and public entities, trademark and trade secret disputes, eminent domain actions, breach of contract claims, product defect claims and consumer class action claims.
Ms. Wetzel has been designated as a Certified Information Privacy Professional, United States (CIPP/US) by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
During law school, Ms. Wetzel was a certified law student in the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office trying felony preliminary hearings and misdemeanor DUI motions to suppress. She also served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Marla Miller, San Francisco Superior Court, and the Honorable John Munter, San Francisco Superior Court, Complex Litigation. In this capacity, she drafted memoranda, researched legal issues, observed hearings, settlement conferences, and mediations for class action, complex commercial and business litigation.
- Gained appellate victory for our client, a manufacturer and seller of a consumer product, by obtaining a reversal of the trial court’s denial of our motion to enjoin restitution claims under the False Advertising and Unfair Competition Laws of California. Published opinion, The People of the State of California v. IntelliGender, LLC, No. 13-56806, D.C. No. 2:10-CV-04210-ABC-VBK, before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Appellate victory for our client, the owner and manager of a San Francisco high-rise office building facing a lawsuit seeking millions for a fraud, breach of contract, nuisance and trespass, in California state court.
- Judgment for nonsuit for our client, a multinational automotive company, midway through trial of a lawsuit alleging that a four-hour motorcycle ride the plaintiff took led to a permanent physical dysfunction.
- Obtained a court order to enter property with governmental agencies to conduct necessary environmental testing and review prior to commencing an eminent domain action to develop a natural gas cross-over station.
- Successful resolution of a contract dispute and recovery of consigned art for an artist without resort to litigation.
Counseling and Advice
- Counseled and advised our client, a dental practice, regarding compliance with all state and federal regulatory schemes, including HIPAA and California state law, relating to a data breach in connection with a theft of an external hard drive affecting patients residing in over 36 different states, in conjunction with managing notification to all affected patients and pertinent government enforcement agencies. Successfully handled investigation by the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Civil Rights, without any fines or sanctions imposed on our client.
- Advised our client, a major university hospital, regarding compliance with all state and federal regulatory schemes relating to a spear-phishing attack affecting financial and personal health information of employees and their dependents.
- Navigated a regional hospital through a data breach caused by a break in and theft of paper and electronic records involving patient health information and financial information. Advised our client regarding compliance with all state and federal regulatory schemes, including HIPAA and California state law. Managed all required notifications including individual notice, substitute and media notice under HIPAA and California state law, notification to all pertinent state and federal regulatory agencies, and notification to card organizations and credit monitoring agencies.
Presentations and Publications
- Coauthor, “Nevada Broadens Definition of Personal Information for Purpose of Encryption and Breach Notices,” Sedgwick’s Digital Media Law blog (May 2015).
- “Combating Women’s Initiative Fatigue,” Sedgwick’s Women Connect (Spring 2015).
- “New California Privacy and Protection Act Proposes Standards for Personal Information Encryption, Bans Sales of Voice-Recording TVs, Criminalizes Vehicle Hacking, and Slew of Other Privacy-Related Measures,” Sedgwick’s Digital Media Law blog (February 2015).
- “California Passes New Data Breach Laws: Requirement to Offer Identity Theft Protection at No Cost, New Duties Imposed on ‘Maintainers’ of Personal Information, and Sale of Social Security Numbers Banned,” Sedgwick’s Digital Media Law blog (October 2014).
- “Denial of Hulu’s Motion for Summary Judgment Paves Way for More Lawsuits Under the Video Privacy Protection Act,” Sedgwick’s Digital Media Law blog (May 2014).
- “LinkedIn Sues Unknown Defendants Operating BOTS for Stealing Member’s Data,” Sedgwick’s Digital Media Law blog (January 2014).
- “Ninth Circuit Upholds One of the Highest Ratios of Punitive Damages to Zero Compensatory Damages in a Title VII Gender Discrimination Suit,” Sedgwick’s Employment Law blog (November 2013).
- “AB 370 Amends CalOPPA to Require Transparency Regarding Consumers’ ‘Do Not Track’ Requests to Websites, Online Services And Mobile Applications,” Sedgwick’s Digital Media Law blog (October 2013).
- “New Case Holds Sophisticated Parties May Contractually Waive the Delayed Discovery Rule Applicable to Actions for Latent Construction Defects in California,” Sedgwick’s Construction Newsletter (July 2013), and Legal Insights (November 2013).
- U.S. District Court (C.D. Cal.)
- U.S. District Court (S.D. Cal.)
- J.D. (2012) University of California, Hastings College of the Law, magna cum laude
- — member of the Hastings Law Journal, vice president of the Hasting Trial Law Association, panel moderator for Hasting International Comparative Law Association, recipient of the Witkin Award for Highest Grade in Civil Procedure
- B.A. (2007) Cornell University, cum laude
Memberships and Affiliations
- Sedgwick Women’s Forum Associate Committee
- Cornell Norcal Alumni Association Board of Directors